We love making glass and the challenge of making your dreams into reality! Your glass piece should be just what you want, so the process takes some effort.
Custom orders for specialty glass might start with a phone call or an email. But for us to make an assessment of whether this is something we can successfully make for you: an image or drawing of the form of interest is needed. Remember, a picture is worth a thousand words! If any hardware is involved in connecting the glass to anything else, we need to know all about that. Please also include the desired dimensions of the form(s) including height, depth, and width. Some art forms might be too tall or too wide for us to make without additional assistance, including another glassmaker or a blow mold. If that’s the case that doesn’t mean we can’t help you, it just means a little more time and money.
Once we have an idea of the form you want, and we think we can accomplish it, we will provide a scoping cost for the piece. Remember everything is hand made so don’t expect prices to be as low as something that you would buy straight off the shelf! The scoping cost will change after we understand all the details of the piece. So the next step is to set up a Design Meeting.
Objective: align client and artist to the same goals
Time: ~ 1 hour at our Tomball Studio
Design Fee: $100
- Discuss and agree on the details of the form: dimensions, openings, attachments, and color(s).
- If the glass attaches to anything and you already have the hardware bring it in with you.
- Unusual or large forms may need prototyping. If this is the case, we will let you know and advise you of the time and money that will be required.
- Every glass color manufacturer has its own set of colors. We might use seven different blues in our studio, so you need to be able to pick out the exact color that you desire. It’s beneficial if you bring in the color palette and a photo for the room or area where you want to install your piece. Our experience with blown colors might influence your decision.
- The Design Meeting is finalized by a Commission Contract (unless Prototyping is required) which includes all the details agreed to about the piece. If you decide not to proceed, you are still liable for the Design Fee.
- If prototyping of the form and/or color is required there will be both additional time and money involved. Minimum fee for each protyping effort is $100 and will be determined in the Design meeting.
- Prototyping Fee is due prior to the work effort. Once decisions are made about the forms and colors the Commission Contract will be finalized.
The contract includes the final cost estimate and the delivery date estimate. Work on your commission will not begin until a 50% deposit is received. We will finish any previously committed projects before we start yours and will give a good faith estimate as to the estimated start and delivery dates for your custom order. After receipt of the deposit it will take approximately 4-6 weeks to make your piece.
Our glass artists will begin work on your custom order as soon as possible. We will contact you if we find that any variance needs to occur in the form for functionality or other reasons. The completed piece will be photographed. The photograph and an online invoice will be sent to you. Once the final payment is received (either online or in-person), you can pick up your custom glass at our studio.